The Downland Benefice
Holy Trinity, Poynings, St Andrew’s, Edburton
St John the Evangelist, Newtimber
The Transfiguration, Pyecombe
There is a united Benefice service every Sunday morning at 10 am in one of our churches.
On most Sundays, this is a service of Holy Communion.
On the first Sunday of each month, it is an all age worship service, followed at 11.15 am by a short Communion service.
Location varies according to the pattern below:
First Sunday (6th November) Poynings
Second Sunday (13th November
Third Sunday (20th November) Poynings
Fourth Sunday (27th November) Pyecombe
There is also a Benefice Evening Service at 6pm every second Sunday
(13th November: Remembrance)
In addition, at Edburton Church there is:
A service of Family Communion every first and third Sunday at 11 am (6th and 20th November)
Morning and Evening Prayer each week
Mondays: Edburton at 6 pm; Tuesdays: Newtimber at 5 pm
Wednesdays: Poynings at 9 am; Pyecombe at 6 pm
Evergreens (for the over 60’s)
Monday, 7th November, 3.30 – 5 pm at Pangdean farm, Pyecombe
(with thanks to Ian and Nicki Currie)
Special events and dates this month
- November is the month for Services of Remembrance. There will be a short said weekday service at Poynings on Armistice Day (Friday 11th November) at 10.45am. On Remembrance Sunday, we have two services – in the morning at Newtimber, and in the evening at Pyecombe. Names of the fallen from all 4 parishes will be read both on 11th November and at the service at Newtimber. Those from Pyecombe are read at Pyecombe. On Sunday 20th November, the morning service at Edburton will include reading of the names of the fallen from that parish.
- Study Groups continue at The Rectory on Wednesdays: 2nd November will be our final group meeting in this series.
- Book sale in Fulking Book Nook (the chapel by the village hall) on 13th November 11am – 4pm. Also CDs and DVDs.
- Messy Church this month will be on Friday 18th November: 4.30pm in the Hall at Fulking: all welcome.
- There will be a performance of Macbeth at St Andrew’s Church, Edburton, on the evening of Sunday 20th November. Book online at www.brightonshakespearecompany.co.uk
- 25th November is Edburton Quiz night at Preston Nomads at 7pm. Teams of 4: £7.50pp. Call 07812-465-559 Food and bar.
- The first Sunday of Advent is on Sunday 27th November. During Advent, we are launching an appeal for goods to support those who are homeless in winter. Goods collected will be sent to Off the Fence, a local charity that supports those who are sleeping rough. Details of the appeal will be available during November – please watch out for it.
- Save the date for the Poynings Pantomime: Beauty and the Beast. There will be evening performances on Friday 13th January and Saturday 14th January, and matinees on Saturday 14th and Sunday 15th. The best panto in the area!
Clergy contact details:
Revd. Dr Caroline Currer, Priest-in-Charge
Tel 01273 857456 email@example.com
Revd Graham Jeffery (Edburton) 01273 494559